Renters and homeowners alike have the ability to cut energy costs by implementing low or no cost tips that can easily be put in place. Here are 5 simple ways to lower your bill during the winter:
- Change your air filter once a month.
- Keep curtains open in the daytime to naturally warm the house with direct sunlight. Keep them closed at night to keep out the chill.
- Purchase a window sealing kit at a home improvement store to combat drafty windows. These kits include plastic sheets that fit your window to seal out cool drafts. They can be easily removed without damage once winter is over.
- Turn off your computer when it’s not in use. Keeping your computer on all the time can add up to as much as $17.30/month on your electricity bill.
- Check the temperature on your water heater. It should be set no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit for best efficiency.