What classifies as an electrical hazard? Check your home for these problems:
- Frayed or worn electric cords
- Appliance plugs “piggy backed” on a single switch
- Electrical appliances such as radios, hairdryers, shavers, portable lamps, or radiators used near showers, baths or swimming pools
- Extension cords being used instead of permanent indoor/outdoor wiring
- Wet floors present where electricity is used
- Electrical appliances that blow fuses, overheat, or spark heavily
Residual Current Devices (RCD) are safety switches that reduce the risk of death from electric shock at home. While these devices are not guaranteed to stop the shock, they will make the injury less serious.
Make sure electrical hazards are never a problem in your home by following these guidelines:
- Have a licensed electrician install a safety switch inside the house to replace your external fuse box.
- Frayed, worn, or damaged cords and extension cords should not be repaired with tape—throw them out.
- Always turn an appliance off before unplugging it.
- When unplugging an appliance, make sure to hold the plug and not the cord.
- Turn small appliances off when not in use.
- Make sure outdoor appliances don’t come into contact with pools or puddles of water.
- When using electricity in wet areas, always wear rubber sole shoes.
- Never touch appliances or switches with wet hands.
- Never fold or crumple an electric blanket.
- Call a licensed electrician for any repairs needed to switches, power points, or light fittings.
- Send faulty appliances to be repaired or throw them out. Don’t attempt to repair them yourself unless you are qualified.
- Use plug-in covers to prevent children from poking objects into power points.
- Make sure to unplug electrical appliances after using them.