Piedmont Electric is upgrading our meters to improve the efficiency and reliability of our electric system and provide many benefits to our members.
With these new meters, we will be strengthening our already strong reliability, decreasing the length of power outages and saving you money by allowing us to operate our system more efficiently. Read more about the benefits, installation process and answers to frequently asked questions below!New meter benefits
New meter benefits
Improved member service
- A digital meter is secure and can be read remotely. Service disconnects/re-connects can be performed quickly at the push of a button no longer requiring on-site visits.
- Provides members with their hourly energy use through SmartHub which can assist in conservation of energy and resolve billing and usage questions.
- Provides our member services team with more detailed data (eg. power consumption patterns, outage and blink history and voltage information) to better assist members who may need to reduce high energy consumption or address any power quality issues.
- Members can now combine rate options together that best fit their lifestyle, see Special Rates.
- These new meters are a key part of establishing our smart electric grid to help prepare for members’ power needs in the future.
Improved Service Efficiency and Reliability
- Provides the cooperative with detailed data to help locate and restore power outages quicker.
- Serves as a diagnostic tool for engineers to monitor energy demand and line loss.
- Enhances ability to identify future problems and better forecast power needs.
Dates are currently being finalized. Information will be posted here once available.
- We will send you a postcard prior to install letting you know that new meters will be coming to your area soon.
- We will send a reminder to your e-mail as well as an automated call approximately two weeks prior to meter installation.
- We will knock on your door to let you know we are on-site. Our authorized installer, Bellwether Management Solutions, will arrive between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. Installers will drive vehicles and carry badges that identify them as an authorized contractor of Piedmont Electric. Unless your electric meter is inside (which is uncommon) they will not need to enter your home and you will not need to be present for the installation. Please ensure animals are inside and that anything blocking your meter is removed, such as lawn furniture or planters. Locked gates will also need to be unlocked for access.
- We will perform the installation. This process will cause a brief service interruption for less than 10 minutes. We will remove the old meter, install the new meter, restore service and verify the new meter is working properly.
- We will leave a door hanger. The door hanger will let you know we have been on your property and successfully installed the new meter. If you receive a red door hanger please follow the directions for next steps. If a red door tag was received, the member needs to call 800.222.3107.
Frequently asked questions