More than $20,360 has been awarded by Piedmont Electric Membership Corporation to area teachers for 18 Bright Ideas Grants for the 2012-13 school year.
Winners were chosen by an independent panel of judges based on grant applications. This year’s recipients include:
• Janice Albaugh and Beth Boyce, Pathways Elementary School, Hillsborough
• Nancy Huskins, Beth Moss and Clarence Winston, A. L. Stanback Middle School, Hillsborough
• Kristie Mabry, A. L. Stanback Middle School, Hillsborough
• Dan Moise and Alan Green, Emerson Waldorf School, Chapel Hill
• Emily Quadrio, Grey Culbreth Middle School, Chapel Hill
• Mary Andrews, Rena Norwood, Jennifer Pedersen and Eileen Regan, Estes Hills Elementary School, Chapel Hill
• Blake Norris and Aimee Haygood, Chapel Hill High School, Chapel Hill
• Dr. Frances Brindle, Carolina Friends School, Durham
• Julia Higby-Naquin, Voyager Academy, Durham
• Susan Poole, Donna Hamm, Megan Bendson and Kim Leonhardt, Northern High School, Durham
• Kimberly Body, Spring Valley Elementary School, Durham
• Traci Carter, Helena Elementary School, Timberlake
• Susan Hess, Helena Elementary School, Timberlake
• Amanda Bedo, Stories Creek and Woodland Elementary Schools, Roxboro
• Cornelius Lassiter, Teresa Elliott, Amanda Vaughn, Jay Carmichael and William Whitfield, Northern Middle School, Roxboro
• Melissa Barnhouse, Gravelly Hill Middle School, Efland
• Thomas Watson, Gravelly Hill Middle School, Efland
• Wykendra Parker and Beth Kirby, Stoney Creek Elementary School, Reidsville
The teachers were recently recognized at a statewide luncheon in Raleigh. Since the Bright Ideas Grant Program began in 1994, Piedmont Electric has awarded more than $300,000 to local educators to provide innovative teaching projects not funded through traditional means. “We’re very interested in the education of the young people in our service area, and these grants allow us the opportunity to show our commitment to our communities,” says the Cooperative’s CEO R. G. Brecheisen.
Photo of Piedmont Electric’s Bright Ideas Grant Winners that attended the November 16, 2012 luncheon.
Photo of Piedmont Electric’s Bright Ideas Grant Winners taken at the November 16, 2012 luncheon.