Piedmont Electric is bringing in outside crews from other electric cooperatives to help in our restoration efforts associated from this winter storm. As of 528am this morning, Piedmont Electric has 7,212 outages with the majority of the outages in Orange, Durham and Alamance counties. Please view our Outage Viewer to keep updated on outage restoration efforts. Piedmont Electric members are asked to call us directly at 800.449.2667 to report an outage or call 800.222.3107. Please see below an updated winter weather message. To ensure your safety during this winter weather, please see our safety information. Listed below is a Winter Weather Message from the NOAA.GOV.To ensure your safety during this winter weather, please see our safety information.
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
434 AM EST FRI MAR 7 2014
...WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION EXPECTED TO CONTINUE ACROSS THE PIEDMONT THIS MORNING....ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE WILL EXTENDS SOUTHWARD FROM NEW ENGLAND INTO THE CAROLINAS THIS MORNING. A WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION HAS SPREAD ACROSS THE NORTHWEST AND NORTHERN PIEDMONT AS A
STRENGTHENING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKS NORTHEAST ALONG THE CAROLINA COAST. ADDITIONAL ICING WILL CONTINUE THIS
MORNING...WITH STRONG WINDS EXPECTED THROUGHOUT THE DAY.
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST TODAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST TODAY. THE WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
* LOCATIONS...PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL PIEDMONT.
* HAZARD TYPES...FREEZING RAIN WILL CHANGE OVER TO ALL RAIN THIS MORNING.
* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO AN INCH OF SNOW AND SLEET HAS ALREADY FALLEN...WITH UP TO ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH OF ICE STILL POSSIBLE.
* TIMING...PRECIPITATION WILL CONTINUE THIS MORNING AS MOSTLY FREEZING RAIN AND THEN BECOME ALL RAIN AFTER 700 AM.
* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS CAN BE EXPECTED ESPECIALLY ACROSS NEAR THE VIRGINIA BORDER COUNTIES. BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES
WILL BE ESPECIALLY VULNERABLE TO ICE ACCUMULATION. DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES ARE EXPECTED THIS MORNING.
* WINDS...NORTH AROUND 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.
A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST
TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. PLEASE LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR GO TO WEATHER.GOV ON THE INTERNET FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE WEATHER.