As an electric cooperative, we are different from other electric utilities. The way we operate is based on seven core principles followed by cooperatives all across the globe.
- VOLUNTARY AND OPEN MEMBERSHIP Cooperatives are open to everyone who is able to use its services. Anyone who moves into Piedmont Electric’s service area is allowed membership without discrimination.
- DEMOCRATIC MEMBER CONTROL Cooperatives are democratic organizations controlled by their members. Piedmont Electric members vote for directors from our membership, ensuring that our board is made up of members who live in and understand our community.
- MEMBERS’ ECONOMIC PARTICIPATION As a member-owned organization, any margins are shared back with the people we serve in the form of capital credits. Credits are allocated to members based on their electricity purchases from the cooperative. Since 1975, Piedmont Electric has returned more than $24 million in credits to our members.
- AUTONOMY AND INDEPENDENCE A cooperative is a self-governing organization controlled by its members. This allows us to offer services, programs and policies that fit our members’ specific wants and needs.
- EDUCATION TRAINING AND INFORMATION Cooperatives understand the importance of keeping their members informed and not just about cooperative business! Piedmont Electric is dedicated to communicating energy efficiency tips, safety precautions and happenings in our community to our members. Stay tuned to our newsletter as well as our Facebook, Twitter and emails for the latest news, information and helpful tips.
- COOPERATION AMONG COOPERATIVES We’re stronger together. We have mutual-aid agreements with other electric cooperatives so that when Piedmont Electric needs extra hands after a major outage, neighboring co-ops assist us. Likewise, we’ll be there to lend a helping hand to other co-ops when they are in need.
- CONCERN FOR COMMUNITY Empowering our current and future members ensures a brighter and stronger future for all of us. We show our commitment to our communities by supporting a wide range of youth programs and giving opportunities such as Piedmont Electric’s Helping Hand Foundation.