Hillsborough, NC (June 14, 2019) – Seven local high school graduates received $2,000 college scholarships from Piedmont Electric for their academic excellence and commitment to their communities.
“We are proud to award these scholarships to such exceptional students in our communities,” said Steve Hamlin, Piedmont Electric President and CEO. “As an electric cooperative, Piedmont Electric strives to do more than keep the lights on. We want to make a difference in the lives of those we serve.”
The scholarship winners are:
- Bryce Gunter, Firm Foundation Academy, will be attending North Carolina State University in the fall to study computer science in the College of Engineering.
- Delaney Schauble, Eastern Alamance High School, will be attending Liberty University to study women’s leadership and global studies.
- Grace Dively, Orange High School, will be attending North Carolina State University to study chemical engineering.
- Lauren Behringer, Orange High School, will be attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to study mathematics and economics.
- Luke Clayton, Person High School, will be attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to study chemistry and pursue a PhD in pharmaceutical studies.
- Rachel Tucker, Cedar Ridge High School, will be attending North Carolina State University to study applied mathematics and statistics.
- Rowan Marshall, Middle College High School, will be attending Florida Southern College to study marine biology and environmental studies.
The seven recipients to receive this honor reside throughout Piedmont Electric’s six-county service territory. The Piedmont Electric Helping Hand Foundation awarded a total of $14,000 in college scholarships to outstanding local high school graduates.
Since 1997, Piedmont Electric has supported local students through their college scholarship program. Graduating high school seniors whose parents, grandparents or guardians are Piedmont Electric members are eligible to apply for a $2,000 scholarship. The graduating class of 2020 can apply online at www.pemc.coop/scholarships starting Sept. 1, 2019.
Piedmont Electric is a local, member-owned, not-for-profit electric cooperative serving more than 32,000 electric accounts in Orange, Alamance, Caswell, Durham, Granville and Person counties. Piedmont Electric exists to serve our members and improve the quality of life in our communities through local employment, economic development, business engagement, youth education, grants to educators, advocacy for energy issues, community involvement and emergency preparedness support.