Payment Assistance

Everyone needs help from time-to-time. At Piedmont Electric Cooperative, we will extend your due date up to 10 days from your disconnect date, no questions asked. You can even do that from the convenience of your own home through SmartHub or by calling 800.222.3107. We also offer flexible payment schedules through the prepay program.

Need additional assistance?

The following organizations can help you with your energy bill when you need help making ends meet. Below is a list of organizations to call about energy assistance. Once you have been approved for energy assistance, the organization will call us to confirm the information you provided to them and will then send over a pledge. The pledge will be posted to your account once received and will stay on your account for about two months to give time for the funds to arrive to us.

If you need assistance paying your bill, your county’s local social services office is the best place to start. Types of assistance include the Crisis Intervention Program (CIP), Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) and Piedmont Electric’s Helping Hand program.

All three can only be applied for at your local county’s social services office. Each program has specific requirements and may not be available yearlong. Typically these programs are offered during the hottest months of summer and coldest months of winter.

Please contact your home county’s social services office if you need assistance.

Alamance County, 336.229.2974
Caswell County, 336.694.4141
Durham County, 919.560.8000
Granville County, 919.693.1511
Orange County, 919.245.2800
Person County, 336.599.8361

You can also apply for energy assistance online through the NC ePASS program.

The state’s Community Action Agencies (CAAs) can help low-income individuals and families meet a variety of needs including providing assistance to those facing eviction with unmet rent and utility expenses.

To apply for help, contact your local Community Action Agency listed below.

Alamance: Alamance County Services Agency, 336.229.7031
Caswell: Telamon Corporation, 919.239.8111
Durham: Central Piedmont Community Action, 919.742.2277
Granville: Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity, 252.492.0161
Orange: Central Piedmont Community Action, 919.742.2277
Person: Telamon Corporation, 919.239.8111

If you are unable to receive support from your local social service agency or have used all funds available to you, then we suggest you contact one or more of the organizations below as they sometimes provide energy assistance.

Allied Churches of Alamance County (ACAC), 336.229.0881
Caswell County Parish, 336.694.6428
Caswell County Senior Center, 336.694.7447
Central Piedmont Community Action, 919.742.2277, 919.245.4342
Catholic Charities, 919-286-1964 ext. 108,
Chapel of the Cross, 919.929.2193 (Chapel Hill and Carrboro residents only)
Christian Help Center, 336.599.6070
Community Health Coalition, 919.470.8680
Empowerment, 919.967.8779 (Must live in Orange County)
Grey Stone Baptist Church, 919.286.3596
Hillside, 919.967.3056 (Chapel Hill and Carrboro residents only)
Inter-Faith Council for Social Service, 919.929.6380 (Must live or work in Carrboro or Chapel Hill)
Jewish Federation of Durham and Chapel Hill, 919.354.4936
Orange Congregation in Missions (OCIM), 919.732.6194
Orange County Emergency Housing Assistance, 919.245.2655,
Salvation Army, 919.688.7306 extension 1 (Orange County), 336.226.4462, 336.349.4923
St. Thomas Moore, 919.942.6216 (Chapel Hill and Carrboro residents)
Summit Church, 919.354.5994
University Presbyterian Church, 919.929.2102 (Orange County school district residents only)
White Rock Baptist Church, 919.688.8136

Additional resources such as food and nutrition services, child care assistance, internet access, unemployment assistance:

NC 2-1-1 : For free, confidential information on health and human services resources, call NC 2-1-1. They can help connect you with local organizations that are best able to address needs including food, shelter, energy assistance, housing, parenting resources, health care, employment, substance abuse treatment and specific resources for older adults and for persons with disabilities. They can be reached at any time or day by calling 211 or 888-892-1162.

IRS tool to help receive CARES Act payment: This tool allows taxpayers to provide their direct deposit information if they did not provide it with their 2020 or 2021 tax returns. The tool also lets individuals track their payment.

Food and nutrition services: This federal food assistance program provides low-income families with the food they need.

Child care assistance: If you are a parent who provides necessary services to, or cares for, members of our communities and your child care has fallen through because of the COVID-19 closures, call 888.600.1685 to be connected with the right fit for you and your child.

Internet access: As many North Carolinians are being asked to work remotely, the North Carolina Department of Information Technology has compiled a list of new and existing free or affordable service offerings from vendors across the state.

Emergency Broadband Benefit Program: The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program that provides a temporary discount on monthly broadband bills for qualifying low-income households.

Unemployment assistance: The NC Commerce department has created a Q&A page for individuals experiencing job loss or reduced work hours due to COVID-19.

Social services: For temporary or long-term assistance, your county’s social services department can help. Reach out to them for access to health care, child care, housing, financial and nutrition assistance.

Alamance County 336.570.6532
Caswell County 336.693.4141
Durham County 919.560.8000
Granville County 919.693.1511
Orange County 919.245.2800
Person County 336.599.8361

Avoiding scams: If you are contacted by someone claiming to represent Piedmont Electric who wants a payment, requests you purchase a prepaid card or asks for personal information, hang up and call Piedmont Electric at 800.222.3107 to verify it’s a scam.

Frequently Asked Questions

When we receive a pledge, we immediately put it on your account. If you don’t see it, please call the caseworker you worked with to ensure they sent the pledge to us. We want to make sure you are safe from disconnection.

The pledge keeps your account from being disconnected so without the pledge or payment, you may be subject to disconnection. We would like to help you avoid this situation. Above is a list of organizations to call and inquire about energy assistance. For questions, please call us at 800.222.3107.

We don’t apply the energy assistance funds until we receive the check from the organization that is helping with the bill. The pledge on your account keeps you from being disconnected until we receive those funds.

You’ll need a copy of your most recent bill and proof of income such as a recent pay stub, award letter from Social Security or a 1099. For our prepay members, be sure to have your account number. To receive energy assistance, you must have a past due balance that is subject to disconnection.

For additional questions, please call us at 800.222.3107 to speak to a member service representative.

Translate »
ACD > Points Of Contact Digital > Chat > Initialization & Test