Youth Tour in Washington D.C.
Local youths have a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit our nation’s capital for the annual Rural Electric Youth Tour. More than 1,500 students attend the Youth Tour each year to learn about electric cooperatives, American history and the U.S. government and visit the historic sights of our nation’s capital. Since the late 1950s, more than 40,000 students from small towns across the nation have traveled to Washington, D.C. to participate in the Youth Tour. Past participants have gone on to design airplanes, work as congressional aides on Capitol Hill and serve in some of the highest positions in our government such as Lieutenant Governor and in the U.S. Senate.
The Youth Tour exists to:
- Provide an opportunity for youth to visit monuments, government buildings and cooperative-related organizations in order to become familiar with the historical and the political environment of the nation’s capital.
- Allow youth to meet elected officials to better understand how federal government operates.
- Educate youth on all aspects of rural electrification and to promote a better understanding of the value of rural electric cooperatives.
- Open to current high school students
- Must have a connection to a member of Piedmont Electric (parent, grandparent, guardian, extended family member, etc.)
- Please fill out and submit the form below by December 31, 2019.
- Applicants will be selected to visit Piedmont Electric for an interview which will be comprised of a set of questions relevant to the Youth Tour and electric cooperatives.
- We will ask applicants to deliver a brief (2-3.5 minute) speech on a topic selected by Piedmont Electric. Applicants will be provided with this topic prior to interview.
2019 Youth Tour dates: June 15-21, 2019
Additional leadership scholarships: Runner-ups for the 2019 Youth Tour may be qualified to attend the 2019 Co-op Leadership Camp as a sponsored participant by Piedmont Electric. Following the 2019 Youth Tour interview process, Piedmont Electric will reach out to applicants about this additional opportunity. Click here to learn more about the Co-op Leadership Camp.