As we celebrate National Co-op Month, we’re reminded of what’s at the core of our cooperative: our members.
Investing in our communities and our members is one of our cooperative principles and a part of who we are. Throughout 2020, we’ve given back to the community in the following ways:
- Awarded more than $49,000 to local educators for innovative class projects to support learning efforts through our Bright Ideas education grants.
- Supported those in need during the COVID-19 pandemic through our Helping Hand Foundation. Thanks to generous members who participate in this voluntary program, we gave $70,000 in support to those going through a difficult time.
- Secured more than $650,000 in USDA REDLG funding for zero-interest loans to local fire departments.
- Invested in our co-op’s youth through $23,000 in college scholarships for high school seniors planning to continue their education at a college, university, community college or technical school.
- Returned $1.4 million in capital credits to current and past members since 2019.
This year has been a uniquely difficult one. In response to the COVID-19 health crisis, we put an extra focus on giving back to our community to help out during this challenging time. In doing so, we:
- Provided more than $70,000 in utility assistance thanks to the development of our Helping Hand Foundation’s COVID-19 Relief Fund.
- Applied more than $150,000 in deposits to past due balances for our members to help ease the economic burden of the ongoing health crisis.
- Established long-term payment arrangements, which gives members a 12-month grace period to pay back past due balances on energy used before August 2020 without fear of disconnection.
Starting Oct. 7, we will be handing out safety bags which include reusable face masks and hand sanitizer in lieu of our annual community day. The bags will be available at each office throughout the month while supplies last. You can pick them up during business hours using our contact-less drive-through. Limit one bag per member.
If you’d like to contribute to our COVID-19 Relief Fund to help support those in our community, you can do so here.